We provide a 24 hour on call service 01856 876285

Things to be thinking about


You should ascertain if the deceased made a will and consult the solicitor who holds it, to see what the deceased’s wishes were as to the funeral. The will will also disclose the names of the executors or the persons legally entitled to deal with the deceased’s estate. Your solicitor will assist you with the administration of the estate and any questions relating to taxation that may arise.

People to Inform

There are various people, companies and other interested parties who need to be informed of the death, and others who ought to be informed.
If the deceased lived alone, then someone ought to be informed as soon as possible.

  • Local social services if meals on wheels, home help or day centre transport was used.
  • Any hospital the person was attending.
  • The family doctor.
  • The local Inland Revenue office.
  • The local Social Security office to cancel pensions, allowances, benefits etc.
  • Any employer or trade union.
  • A child or young person’s teacher, employer or college, should be informed if a parent, brother, sister, grandparent or close friend has died/
  • Car insurance company – people driving a car insured by the deceased’s name are not legally insured.
  • Local offices of British Gas, electricity, British Telecom, Royal Mail deliveries and local newsagents.
  • If the deceased was receiving Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit, the local housing department; also if the deceased was living in property rented from the Council or any landlord if the deceased lived in rented accommodation.


Cruse Bereavement Care Scotland